- New plantings will require more water the first year.
- Water annuals in containers twice a week depending on weather.
- Water cool season lawns twice a week.
- Water trees and shrubs twice a week.
- Fertilize cool season lawns, such as bluegrass and parkblend.
- Fertilize house plants with a good water soluble fertilizer.
- Fertilize established roses.
- Fertilize trees and shrubs with SuperGreen
Yard and Garden
- Now is the best time to plant trees, shrubs and perennials.
- Plant summer flowering bulbs, such as gladiolus, lilies or dahlias.
- Dethatch, aerate and water lawns.
- Start mowing established lawns
- Reseed cool season lawns in April.
- Apply Bonide pre-emergent to lawns and ornamental beds to prevent weed seed germination.
- Prune spring flowering shrubs shortly after blooming in late spring or early summer.
- Time to cut back ornamental grasses if not already done so. Cut them to a ball shape.
- Plant fruit trees: apple apricot, cherry, pecan, plum, pear, pomegranate.
- Plant shade trees (ash, elm, cottonwood) and ornamental trees (flowering cherry, plum, crab apple) now.
- Plant ornamental grasses.
- Plant bulbs, such as dahlia, canna, gladiolus and lily.
- Plant strawberries, raspberries, currant, grapes, asparagus, potatoes and hardy herbs.
- Plants shrubs and vines.
- Plant annual bedding plants.
- Plant perennials.
- Plant native plants.
Insects and Diseases
- Apply Bonide tree and shrub in April or after flowering to protect our bees, no edibles.
- Clean your garden area by removing all debris and cut back plants.
- Check for pinon needle scale and spray with malathion if you see them.
- Apply chelated iron or soil acidifier with iron to chlorsis prone trees and shrubs, such as maples, aspen and other non-native trees and shrubs.
- Keep an eye open for aphids, spider mites, etc and eliminate as necessary.
- Plant tomatoes in Wall O’ Waters early season plant protectors.
- Stagger vegetable planting so you can have plants maturing once a week.
- Improve soils in vegetable beds by adding BTE compost, home compost or manure.
- Continue planting seeds for upcoming season.
- Plant onion sets, strawberries, rhubarb, asparagus.
- Plant herbs such as thyme, lavender, mints and and so many more!
- Protect any tender plants from freezing with a frost cloth or small plants with leaves or mulch.
- Eliminate winter annual weeds such as wild mustards and perennial dandylions by applying Hi-Yield, Kill-Zall.
- Spray Monterey Florel Brand Growth Regulator mid to full bloom to eliminate unwanted fruit in the summer.
- Start a new compost bin.
- Inspect and repair drip irrigation and sprinkler systems.