- Water lawns and gardens deeply once to twice a week depending on rainfall.
- Water Winter annuals in containers every week or two depending on pot size.
- New plantings will require more water the first year.
- Discontinue fertilizer on trees and shrubs.
- Fertilize houseplants with a good water-soluble fertilizer. Be sure not to over-fertilize or over-water houseplants in Winter months.
- Start improving your garden soil by mixing in some organic material such as compost or a top dressing of manure.
Yard And Garden
- Plant bare root roses, trees and shrubs.
- Dethatch, aerate and water lawns.
- Cut back ornamental grasses into a ball shape.
- Transplant any misallocated plants while dormant.
- Prune deciduous trees and shrubs. The best time to prune is when plants have gone fully dormant. Prune Summer-flowering shrubs such as Crepe Myrtle, Butterfly Bush and Rose of Sharon. Do not prune Spring-flowering plants until after they bloom.
- No more than 1/3 of the plant
- Prune to shape
- Prune all dead or damaged branches
- Prune off branches that cross and rub
- Prune to thin the interior of the plant to increase air circulation
Insects And Diseases
- Clean your garden area by removing all debris and deadhead plants to prevent wintering pests.
- Be sure to remove fallen leaves from your lawn. Wet leaves can block sunlight and increase the chance of disease.
- Use horticultural or dormant spray on deciduous trees and shrubs, especially fruit trees, to kill Winter insects and help prevent disease. It’s important to spray early before buds start to swell.
- Plant cool-season vegetables such as lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, swiss chard, kale and mustards in a cold frame or use frost cloth.
- Improve soils in vegetable beds by adding BTE compost, home compost or manure.
- Start planting seeds for the upcoming Spring season!
- Protect any tender plants from freezing with a frost cloth. Protect small plants with leaves or mulch.
- Start a new compost bin.
- Mark your calendars for our upcoming spring events & Osuna University!